Dear 121RN Members:
As you know, for nearly two months now your Union has sent your hospital a steady stream of information requests, demands to bargain and strong recommendations for responsible policies during this pandemic.
I have some updates.
Union members’ hard work has paid off. HCA has just unveiled some sensible protections for its staff:
- 70% of base pay for up to 7 weeks for full-time and part-time staff with reduced hours in clinical or non-clinical facilities or support services:
- 100% of base pay If a you are quarantined per the CDC guidelines.
- Scrub laundering for those caring for COVID-19 patients.
- By late this week, HCA says it will have worked out details with four major hotel chains to provide housing for those of us providing care to COVID-19 patients who prefer not to go home to our loved ones after our shifts.
- This past weekend, HCA initiated a new universal masking policy at all of its hospitals.
- HCA Healthcare senior leadership team will take a 30 percent cut in pay until the pandemic passes.
- HCA CEO Sam Hazen will donate 100% of his in April and May to the HCA Hope Fund.
- The HCA Board of Directors has also waived their cash compensation for the remainder of the year, allowing the company to make additional contributions to the HCA Hope Fund.
UPDATE ON PPE: HCA has agreed to purchase some PPE and we have been informed that it is from one of the suppliers identified by 121RN. However, they have not informed us of the quantity or when the PPE will arrive in hospitals and at which hospitals. We are continuing to follow up to hold them accountable for their responsibility to provide PPE for employees, as legally required. If you haven’t yet, please click here to sign the petition and urge them to purchase sufficient N95 respirators and other needed PPE as soon as possible.
Stay united. Stay strong. Stay healthy.
Executive Director, SEIU Local 121RN